a member of the American Philatelic Society:
- I agree to support and be governed by the Constitution and
Bylaws of the APS and such amendments, resolutions, and policies
as may be established.
- I agree to abide by all federal, state, and local laws relating
to philatelic matters.
- I agree to conduct myself so as to bring no reproach or discredit
to the APS, or to impair the prestige of membership therein,
or to philately.
- I agree neither to buy nor sell philatelic items of which
the ownership is questionable, and to report promptly to the
proper law enforcement agencies information on suspected stolen
- I agree to correct promptly any error I may make in any transaction.
- I agree to assist in the prosecution of violations, of which
I have knowledge, of laws pertaining to philatelic matters,
and to report promptly to the proper law enforcement agencies
any such violations.
- I agree not knowingly to sell, trade, produce, or advertise
repaired, altered, or otherwise modified philatelic items unless
that condition is clearly stated. I further agree not to sell,
produce, or advertise counterfeit material in any form, in violation
of any law.
- I agree to fulfill all contracts made by me, either orally
or written, to make prompt payments upon delivery, and to return
promptly any item that is not satisfactory.
- When exhibiting, I agree to display only material from my
own collection or else to state clearly the contrary intent.
- I agree that substitution of stamps or covers, in circuits,
approval selections, auction lots, etc. is dishonest and is
cause for expulsion.
- I agree to bring known examples of irresponsible or unethical
tactics to the attention of the societies in which I hold membership
and which embrace this code.
- I agree to conduct myself in accordance with accepted standards
of morality and courtesy in philatelic activities not specifically
cited in the code.
- Requests for extension of time to return purchased material
while awaiting expert opinion is not an acceptable reason to
hold up payment for same. Prompt refund shall be from the seller
should the material submitted for opinion be deemed other than
as offered or described by the seller. Unless otherwise previously
agreed, the seller shall also bear reasonable costs for obtaining
the opinion if material is other than as offered or described.
The buyer shall inform the seller immediately after receipt
of any expert opinion. Requests for extension of time must be
- I agree to read, understand, and be bound by the "terms
of sale" conditions before submitting an auction bid or
placing a philatelic order.
- If I should be found guilty of unethical or unlawful conduct,
the record thereof may be disclosed to other philatelic societies
of which I am a member.
- I agree that any dispute concerning philatelic transactions
in which I am involved may be settled by arbitration mutually
agreed upon by the parties involved.
- I agree not to knowingly participate in any way in the advertisement,
sale or trade of any philatelic material using any deceptive
practices including, but not limited to, false or misleading
claims of sales scarcity, value, condition or investment potential.
- I agree that no dealer or auctioneer knowingly shall represent
in any way, including, but not limited to, a prices realized
report that a bona fide sale of a philatelic item at a given
price has occurred when, in fact, no change of ownership did